Crossing the boarder

We’ve made it to Canada.

What happened in the middle?

Well, I got busy, or, other priorities happened. I will do my best to get things caught up, but they might not be in the order of how they happened.

Here’s what’s happening now.  IMG_2116

We left Rouses Point, NY leaving Lake Champlain and entering the Richelieu River. Our first stop was at Canadian Customs. Our customs people were friendly, fast, and efficient. Questions asked, and answered it all went quite fast. Only about a 1/2 hour total. They helped us with our lines and we were off again.


Back in the late 17th and early 18th centuries this area was a main travel area for fur trappers. Also, the English, French, and locals did not get along very well. The area now has remains of forts built during and after the War of 1812. We passed a number of forts in various levels of restoration. Just south the border we passed Fort Montgomery, then a few miles north on the Canadian side Fort Lennox.

At St. Jean we arrived at our first bridge, Bridge 12. Just in time for the noon closure. We tied up at the city dock and had our lunch in preparation for the entry into the Chambly Canal.


St. Jean from our dock waiting for the bridge to open

Our first impression of the Chambly Canal was, it is tight. The lock dimensions are 100′ x 21′. Which with our length and width only allowed 1 other boat to lock through with us. . The lock workers were all very helpful and had lines ready for us when we entered. By the end of the day we had a pretty good rythmn going.  The locks for the most part are manually operated just like when they were built.


Entrance into a lock


The original tow path has been made into a bike and walking path.

When leaving the first lock a handler advised us that we would not have to contact any of the bridges along the way, but to monitor channel 68 so we could be contacted if need be.

We were also advised that the speed in the canal is a maximum of 10 kilometers per hour or about 6 mph. Just over idle speed. The lock handlers moved between the bridges and locks so if you beat a bridge tender or lock handler to the bridge or lock they knew you were going too fast. We had a very pleasant day and there was no reason to hurry.

The last locks came in rapid succession and were more like steps. We would move from one lock right into the next. At the top we were afforded a great view of the Chambly Basin. Upon her first view Cynthia exclaimed “Holy Cow!”. The lock tender told her in the 20 years of his working the locks, that was the first time he had heard that kind of comment.


View into the Chambly basin with Mt. St. Bruneo in the background.


Preparing to open a flood gate


Cranking open the lock gates


A couple of our friendly lock handlers

A great day and we were tired and excited, and glad to be tied up at the dock at Marina de Chambly.

Our feature image is from the highest lock just above the Chambly Basin. That is Mt. St. Hilarie in the background to the east.

More to come.






2 thoughts on “Crossing the boarder

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s